Skip to main content

Why You Break Out Right Before the Exam

The week of finals last term, three things happened to me at once, and I swear it felt personal. The morning of my chemistry exam, a breakout showed up along my jaw like it had RSVP'd. That same week, I kept finding way more hair than usual coiled in the shower drain. And my favorite jeans, the ones that always fit, suddenly did not.

I told myself it was a coincidence. Bad skin week, weird hair week, too many midnight snacks. Three separate problems. Except they all landed in the exact same week, the most stressed week of my term. Which made me wonder: how does something totally in my head, like panic about a calc test, turn into something on my face, my scalp, and my waistline? Turns out my body was basically snitching on me.

The Chemical That Starts It All

Here's the established science. When you get stressed, your body fires up something called the HPA axis: hypothalamus, pituitary, adrenal glands. About ten seconds after a stressor, your hypothalamus releases a hormone called CRH. CRH tells your pituitary to release ACTH, and ACTH tells your adrenal glands (they sit on top of your kidneys) to pump out the big one: cortisol. Peak cortisol hits roughly 30 to 60 minutes later.


Cortisol is genuinely useful in short bursts. It's the "sprint away from danger" hormone. The problem is that finals don't end in 30 seconds, and my brain can't tell the difference between a lion and a worksheet. So the cortisol just... keeps coming.

Why My Skin Breaks Out

This is the part that genuinely surprised me. Your oil glands (sebaceous glands) have CRH receptors sitting right on them, called CRH-R1. That means stress chemistry talks directly to your skin, like the skin has its own tiny stress axis built in. When CRH-R1 gets activated, the gland makes more sebum (oil), the oil clogs pores, and hello, acne. Stress also cranks up inflammation, which makes everything redder and angrier.


And no, it's not just the late-night chips. In a Stanford study by Chiu and colleagues (published in 2003), researchers tracked 22 students before exams and during them. Even after adjusting for sleep, diet, and number of meals, acne flare-ups still lined up with stress. So my exam-morning breakout? Right on schedule, biologically.

The Drain Situation

The hair was the weirdest one. Normally only about 5 to 15% of your hair follicles are in their "resting" phase at any moment. But a big stressor can shove 30 to 50% of them into resting mode early. The follicles basically clock out.


Here's the cruel twist: the hair doesn't fall right away. It sheds about 2 to 3 months later. So that drain clog after finals wasn't even from finals. It was my stress from before finals finally showing up. This delayed shedding has a name, telogen effluvium, and the good news is it's almost always reversible. The hair grows back once your body chills out.


The Jeans

Then the jeans. Cortisol doesn't just stress you out, it makes you hungry, and specifically for high-sugar, high-fat comfort food, because your body thinks it's fueling for battle. On top of that, cortisol nudges your insulin and blood sugar toward storing fat, and it likes to park that fat around your middle. Belly fat actually has more cortisol receptors than fat elsewhere, so it's the first to react.


Researcher Elissa Epel found that people who pump out more cortisol under stress tend to carry more abdominal fat, even slim people. During finals, I was running that whole loop: stressed, snacking, and repeating.

What Changed for Me

The biggest shift wasn't a product or a diet. It was realizing my skin, hair, and jeans weren't three problems. They were three dashboards all reading the same number: cortisol. So now during exam season I treat actual stress management (sleep, a hard squash session, ten minutes of just breathing before a paper) as skincare and haircare and kind-of jeans-care.


My honest personal theory (not a study, just me): it's way easier to turn down the stress upstream than to fight every symptom downstream.


So, Three Dashboards

My body was never betraying me during finals. It was reporting. The breakout, the drain, the tight jeans: three different readouts of one stress hormone doing its job a little too well.


So next time you break out the morning of a deadline, you're not falling apart. You're just watching your stress chemistry come to the surface. The question I keep asking myself now is: if my face is this honest about how I'm feeling, maybe I should start listening to it sooner?


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Spent ₹8,700 I Didn't Mean To. Here's What My Brain Was Actually Doing.

It was 1 AM and I was somehow three carts deep on a shopping app, justifying a phone case I didn't need because it was "67% off." When I checked my account the next morning, I'd spent ₹8,700 on stuff I couldn't even fully remember adding. The weird part? The best feeling of the whole experience wasn't getting the packages four days later. It was the waiting. The little tracking emails. The "out for delivery" notification. By the time the boxes actually arrived, I felt kind of... flat. Which made me wonder: if I wasn't even excited when the stuff came, what was my brain chasing in the first place? The Plot Twist About Dopamine Here's the thing nobody told me in biology class. We all think of dopamine as the "feel good" chemical - the one that supposedly rewards you when something nice happens. Turns out that's basically backwards. In a series of now-famous monkey studies by neuroscientist Wolfram Schultz, dopamine neurons barely ...

Can Sweating Protect Your Brain?

Over winter break I played the longest squash match of my life: three games, two of which I lost, all of which left me feeling like a wrung-out dishrag. So I did what I always do afterward: I dragged myself into the sauna at the club and basically melted onto the wooden bench. My grandmother was visiting that week. She'd forgotten my name twice, and honestly, it scared me. So I was already thinking about memory and aging when the guy next to me, dripping and cheerful, said his Finnish dad "saunas every single day so his brain stays sharp." I laughed it off. Then I couldn't stop thinking about it. Could sweating in a hot wooden box actually do something for your brain? The Study That Started My Spiral It turns out the Finnish-dad theory has actual research behind it. The big one is from the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease study (the KIHD study), led by Jari Laukkanen and colleagues, published in Age and Ageing in 2017. They followed 2,315 middle-aged Finnish men , aged...

What One Sleepless Night Does to Your Brain

The night before my biology exam, I was awake at 3 AM with a highlighter in one hand and my phone in the other. Half of me was "studying." The other half was deep in some video about a squash player I'd never heard of, because apparently my brain decided that was the priority at 2:47 in the morning. The next day I walked into the exam like a zombie and completely blanked on a definition I had literally read at 2 AM. Gone. And here's the cruel irony I only understood later: I skipped sleep to study, but sleep is the exact thing that turns studying into memory. I basically robbed the part of me that does the saving. So what was my brain actually doing while I kept it awake? Turns out, a lot. And none of it was good. Sleep Is When Learning Actually Gets Saved Here's the part that genuinely annoyed me. When you learn something awake, it goes into your hippocampus, which is basically your brain's temporary RAM. It's quick, but it's not permanent. Sleep i...