The first time I sat in a sauna after squash practice, I lasted about six minutes before I bolted out and lay flat on the cool tiles. My heart was pounding, sweat was dripping into my eyes, and I remember thinking, people do this for fun?
But a few minutes later, something shifted. My breathing slowed, my muscles felt looser than they had all week, and my brain felt strangely quiet, like someone had turned down the background noise. A few days later I saw a headline about Finnish sauna studies and how regular sauna use might lower the risk of heart disease and even Alzheimer's. That was the moment my curiosity kicked in.
Can sitting in a hot wooden room really help protect your heart and brain, or is that just a wellness myth dressed up in steam?
What A Sauna Session Actually Does To Your Body
When you sit in a traditional sauna, the air temperature can reach 70 to 100 degrees Celsius. Your core body temperature goes up by about 1 to 2 degrees, your blood vessels widen, and your heart rate climbs to somewhere between 100 and 150 beats per minute. On paper, it looks surprisingly close to moderate exercise.
Blood flow to your skin and muscles increases, you start sweating hard, and after you step out, your blood pressure often drops a little as your body cools down. That light headed, floppy feeling I had on the tiles was my cardiovascular system adapting to sudden heat, then trying to stabilise again.
I started to think of a sauna session as a kind of "heat workout" for my circulation, the same way squash is a workout for my muscles and lungs.
The Finnish Data: Saunas, Hearts, And Brains
The really interesting part comes from long term studies in Finland, where sauna culture is huge. In one big study of middle aged men, researchers followed people for years and compared how often they used saunas with their health outcomes. The men who used a sauna 4 to 7 times per week had about half the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease compared to those who went only once a week.
Even more surprising, frequent sauna users also had a much lower risk of being diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer's disease later in life. The numbers are not tiny either. In some analyses, the risk of Alzheimer's in the highest sauna group was roughly one third to one half of the risk in the lowest group.
These are association studies, so they cannot prove that saunas directly prevent disease. Maybe the people who go to saunas often also exercise more, eat better, or have other healthy habits. But even after adjusting for many of those factors, the sauna signal stayed strong enough that scientists started taking it seriously.
How Heat Might Protect The Brain
So what could hot air in a wooden room possibly have to do with Alzheimer's, a disease of tangled proteins and dying neurons? Scientists have a few ideas, and this is where it gets properly geeky.
First, anything that helps the heart and blood vessels usually helps the brain, because the brain is completely dependent on steady, high quality blood flow. Regular heat stress seems to improve the flexibility of blood vessels, lower blood pressure over time, and support healthier cholesterol patterns. All of that reduces stroke and heart attack risk, which are closely linked to dementia.
Second, heat activates something called heat shock proteins. These are molecules that help other proteins fold correctly and clean up ones that are damaged or misfolded. Since Alzheimer's involves misfolded proteins building up in the brain, some researchers think repeated gentle heat stress might train our cells to be better at handling this kind of damage.
Third, sauna sessions are deeply relaxing for many people. They may lower chronic stress levels and improve sleep quality, both of which are strongly tied to long term brain health. When I started using the sauna once or twice a week, I noticed I fell asleep faster on those nights and woke up less during the night, especially after late squash practice.
My Mini Sauna Experiment
Once I had read about the Finnish studies, I decided to do my own very unscientific trial. For a month, after tough squash sessions, I used the sauna for about ten to twelve minutes, two evenings per week. I kept a tiny note in my planner each day about three things: how sore my muscles felt, how I slept, and how my mood was the next morning.
Nothing dramatic happened. My grades did not magically jump and I did not wake up speaking Finnish. But I did notice patterns. On sauna nights my legs felt less heavy the next morning, and before big tests I felt calmer on the evenings when I had a sauna session. It became a small ritual where I forced myself to put my phone away and just sit with my thoughts, sweat, and breathe.
It made me realise that even if the long term brain benefits are still being studied, there are real short term effects on how my body and mind feel right now.
Saunas Are Powerful, Not Magical
As much as I wanted the research to say "saunas cure everything," it does not. There are important safety details. People with unstable heart disease, very low blood pressure, or certain medical conditions need to talk to a doctor before using saunas. Hydration matters too. I learned the hard way that going in after a long match without drinking water first is a very bad idea.
Heat is a stress on the body, even if it is a helpful one when used in the right dose. More is not always better. The Finnish studies found benefits with sessions that were not extreme in time or temperature, just regular and consistent.
The biggest lesson for me is that sauna use should add to, not replace, the boring foundations of health. Movement, sleep, a balanced diet, social connection, and managing stress still matter far more than any single habit, even one as cosy as sitting in a warm wooden room.
The Plot Twist
Learning about saunas turned a simple post match routine into something that feels a bit like future brain insurance. Not a guarantee, of course, but a small, science backed nudge in the right direction.
Now when I walk into that wooden room and feel the heat wrap around me, I picture tiny changes happening inside my blood vessels and brain. I imagine heat shock proteins waking up, blood rushing a little more freely, and my stressed out nervous system finally getting permission to calm down.
What if protecting your future brain is not just about solving puzzles and memorising facts, but also about the quiet, steady rituals you build into your life now? Maybe one of those rituals, for me, will always be a few peaceful, sweaty minutes in a sauna after a hard game of squash.
Comments
Post a Comment